Lootusprojekt OÜ was established in January 2002 as a family business.
Currently, the company employs
Kersti Lootus (1953) – chief landscape architect;
Kiur Lootus (1981) – chief architect;
Siim Lootus (1984) – civil engineer;
Kadri Uusen (1986) – landscape architect;
Hanna Veske (1988) – landscape architect.
Overview of our completed projects:
Over our 17 years in business, we have completed 270 outdoor space designs.
Our largest completed projects include the following:
1. Beach promenades of different appearance and character. In all, three promenades in Pärnu, Haapsalu and Narva-Jõesuu have been built according to our designs.
2. Parks designed on fortifications in Tallinn, Narva and Pärnu. We have heritage conversation competence through the work of Kersti Lootus in heritage conservation over the past 10 years.
3. Manor parks. There are several historic manor parks in Estonia and we have prepared reconstruction design projects for some of these parks. The most important of these is Kadriorg Park, originating from 1718, which contains formal (French) and landscape-style (English) park sections. This is a park art museum in its own right. The works are ongoing.
4. Japanese garden. There is a separate Japanese garden section in Kadriorg Park.
Kersti Lootus went to study the basics of Japanese garden planning at Kyoto University when she was designing this part of the park. When preparing the design of and building the Japanese garden, we worked closely with a Japanese landscape architect who is the caretaker of Kyoto historic gardens.
5. The most noteworthy projects from last year were redesigning Vastseliina Castle into a public space and the redesigning of Keila Central Park. The first of these projects was competed in late autumn of 2018 and the second is in the process of construction.
All our works are influenced by the features of local Estonian nature and history. In Estonia, where east, west and north meet, nature has very diverse flora. The location of each project is unique and nature is the basis of everything. If the location has its own story, we recognise it and share it with others. Each public space must have a strong idea and story.
Client: Haapsalu City Government / Project: 2006 / Completed: 2010 / Authors: Kersti Lootus, Heidi Viilop
The promenade is located in Estonia, in the Haapsalu Old Town heritage conservation area no 27013.
To restore Haapsalu’s status as a summer resort.
To restore the historical milieu of the promenade on Tagalahe Bay. No other city in Estonia can provide a beachside promenade with a similar historical background.
A historical approach provided the opportunity to become aware of the special atmosphere of the promenade culture of the past. If historically, the main attraction of the Haapsalu promenade was the assembly hall and the events that took place there, we provided additional reasons to come here. We designed a functioning, aesthetically beautiful, integrated space with a nostalgic undertone. We restored the costal fortifications reinforced with quarry stones, paved the pathways and installed lightning. To create a special atmosphere, we restored the decorative posts marking the ends of the streets, the historical stairs leading to the seaside and the sundial, all designed by P. Haavamäe. By marking off their original volumes, we also restored the spring pavilion, boat rental pavilion, music pavilion and toilets. We improved the Africa Beach with a children’s playground and beach service building.
Location: Estonia, Haapsalu, Lossiplats 3 / YARD (ca. 3.5 ha) / Client: Haapsalu City Government / The project was compiled in: 2001, 2005 and 2007 / The work was completed in: 2008 / Authors: Kersti Lootus, Heidi Viilop
Best Municipal Engineering Project in Estonia 2008 (titled bestowed by the Estonian Association of Municipal Engineering)
The castle yard is located in the Haapsalu Old Town heritage conversation area no. 27013.
To display the Haapsalu Bishop’s Castle more thoroughly. The most important design elements of the castle are the small castle with its forecourt, the castle church, the earth fortification structures and moat. To add possibilities for various activities, to attract people of all ages.
The pathways were improved and stairs built. A system for directional signs related to the castle was also developed to over the entire city. The Pointer Tower Gate was opened to the public, which is one of the most high-spirited entrances to the castle. The limestone stairs were improved; two small stages were designed; and a new staircase was built from the moat to the circular wall. The pedestrian walk along the wall was improved. A wooden walkway that resembles flowing water was built in the moat, and children’s playgrounds with specially designed castle-themed equipment were installed on both “shores”. Benches, litter bins and lighting were installed.
Location: Estonia, City of Pärnu / Project category: Public Project / Design year: 2005 / Year Built: 2006 / Authors: Kersti Lootus, Kiur Lootus / Best Municipal Engineering Project in Estonia 2006 (titled bestowed by the Estonian Association of Municipal Engineering) / City of Pärnu Achievement Award 2006
To extend the beach area that is actively utilised and the period when it is used.
A design was made for the 500-metre section of beach between Lehe, Kuuse and Side Streets. Since moving sand dunes create problems in Pärnu and there is the danger of flooding, a concrete supporting wall (ca. 1 metre high) was built to protect the beach promenade both vertically and horizontally. To give the area character, a unique fountain was installed at the end of each street. The fountains have become popular attractions for both sunbathers and stroller on hazy summer nights. To encourage people to stroll, the pathway was paved, and benches, litter bins and lighting were installed. Sales stalls, influenced by the shape of historical kiosks, were designed for the end of Kuuse Street. A beach service building was designed for the end of Side Street. Wooden platforms for sunbathing were installed between the dunes, which can also be used as for beach concerts. A viewing tower and café, with a wooden terrace, was planned for the end of Side Street. The Pärnu Beach Promenade was recognised as a reviver of Estonian promenade culture in 2006.
Location: City of Pärnu / Client: Pärnu City Government / Project: 2009 / The project was completed in: 2010 / Collaborating authors: Kersti Lootus, Kiur Lootus, Siim Lootus, Heidi Viilop, Katri Soonberg
Best Municipal Engineering Project in Estonia 2011 (titled bestowed by the Estonian Association of Municipal Engineering)
In the competition for Wooden Structure of the Year 2010, the bridge in Vallikäär Park was awarded a special prize for the use of laminated timber.
The project is located in heritage conservation area no. 27007. The park is a nature conservation area.
To connect the Old Town, city centre, the parks in the historical bastion zone and the Pärnu riverside into a uniform system of public areas.To develop the Vallikäär Park as a whole into a venue for cultural events and centre city space that sustains historical, cultural and social values.
To find new and multifaceted ways to use the historical Vallikäär Park – moat, earth fortifications and outside fortifications. At the same to give a clear signal that we are dealing with an earth fortification area from the17th century.
To display the development phases of Pärnu in the model installed in the park:
• model of the Crusader castle (first mentioned in 1265);
• model of earth fortification (Swedish fortifier E. Dahlberg, 17th century);
• model of the cityscape after the demolition of the bastions began in 1860.
Designer: Lootusprojekt OÜ (Kersti Lootus, Katri Soonberg, Siim Lootus, Kadri Uusen)
The solution was based on the “Novum Castrum – medieval theme park” project, which was initiated by Vastseliina Piiskopilinnuse Sihtasutus. The project goal was to create a solution that covers the entire castle with the marking and displaying of historic walls. The concept of the entire area is based on the idea of minimum excavation and enriching existing space with new functions by adding lit footpaths, information boards, signs, sitting areas, observation platforms, a stage, an altar and a cross. The contractor’s wish was to make the entire area more accessible and attractive and to display the destroyed historic chapel. The main tower (chapel) is the heart of the historic castle and its oldest part; according to a legend, a floating cross revealed itself there in 1353. In 1354, Pope Innocent VI confirmed that visiting Vastseliina gives an individual 40-day forgiveness from sins, making Vastseliina a pilgrimage destination. The cross on the spot of the former chapel was marked as an illuminated sculpture. The floors of the chapel and the main towers of the castle and some outer walls were marked to show the size of former buildings. In the area, screw piles were used to avoid the destruction of historic walls. The footpaths follow historic plans in the areas between the destroyed walls. The goal of the lighting was to mark the footways, display the walls and retain the mystic aura of the site.